A small, idyllic town on the narrow strip of the Arabian Sea, at the southern tip of Mumbai, Alibagh or Alibaug, is fringed with tall coconut trees and golden sandy beaches lapped by the ocean. Apart from the quaint village houses, it also has farm houses of Mumbai's affluent folk. Nearly 300 years old, Alibaug was founded in the 17th century by Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre, a naval chief of Shivaji's kingdom. The Marathas made Alibagh a Taluka in 1852 and named it Shribag. Because Alibaug was not connected to the mainland by road at that time, the only way to get here was through the sea from Revas, Dharmtar or Mankule. However the construction of the Dharamtar Creek opened its doors to a wider public, connecting it to metros like Mumbai. A weekend getaway and a popular business centre today, Alibaug is frequented by affluent Mumbaiites, mostly to enjoy the beauty of the sea. The town and its surrounding villages
- Road: One can reach Alibag via Pen (30 km away), which is on the Mumbai (78 km away) - Goa road. From Mumbai, one can reach Alibag by traveling on the Mumbai-Goa highway (NH-17)till Wadkhal (or Vadkhal) and taking the right fork from Wadkal - the left fork being the road to Goa. The distance is approximately 108 km from Mumbai
The following are the main beaches in and around Alibag:
- Alibag beach: This is the main beach of the town.
- Varsoli Beach:Located about a mile from the main beach, home to a very large naval base.
- Akshi Beach: It is situated 8 km away from Alibag.
- Nagaon beach: It is situated about 10 km away from Alibag and is famous for coconuts and betel nuts.
- Kihim Beach: Kihim is a secluded place at a distance of 12 km from Alibag. The Kihim beach is famous for dense cover of Coconut trees. It is also famous for woods which are home to rare butterflies, birds and flowers.
- Awas: It is situated about 16 km away from Alibag.
- Saswane: It is situated about 18 km away from Alibag.
- Rewas: It is situated about 24 km away from Alibag.
- Chaul Revdanda: It is situated about 17 km away from Alibag.
- kaneshwar Mandir: It is situated about 17 km away from Alibag to karlekhind-chondi road.
- Mandawa: It is situated about 20 km north of Alibag. The catamaran/ferry services are available from Mumbai to the Mandawa jetty. Many Bollywood celebrities own bungalows here.
- Kashid Beach: It is 36 km away from Alibag, on the Alibag-Murud highway, also this beach is possibly one of the cleanest and most beautiful beaches in the region with almost 'white' sand.